Monday, April 17, 2023

Canned

 The grounds a carpeted in cherry petals 


Precursor of pit harder than metal 


The sky sunshine blue make my heart swoon 


For the succulent dish that trees give bloom 


        *** 


A long coldwet morn that's what's in store 


I get out my fiddle to play my chore 


Making some dough that's on my agenda 


As the union passes handbills the color magenta 


    ***


There's trouble at the co op, the boss from Wyoming  


Walks his dog round the food a leash on a leash pretending 


Control isn't too down to members who built 


Every day stock cans, boxes, produce without guilt 


        *** 


What's the reward just ten laid off 


The shelves half bare with the empty time cough


The security guard hovers not over the registers box


But over the canned workers grievant hard knocks


         *** 


I took back to the store the bbtwas purchased 


It's not my style here's my receipt I'm no conscript 


I got back my cash, spent it on beer 


Out of harms way, loaded with cheer 


      *** 


Cheer up you cherry


There's birds on the way 


Love get loaded with optimism sway  


Don't crack a tooth on speaking the truth 


El Paso we pass thru each moment uncouth  



Pitch in the long haul 

None said it's all berries

The spine and arms numbfrom 

Cantilevered poses  


Bruise not or blemish the strawberry skin 

Tom Joad still walks with a rucksack grin  

A tarpaper hovel that's more than enough 

To house the betterhalfs stuff  


There's blame in the wind and confetti cloud anger 

Each buck a scissor the shopper dangles  

I'll park for a carrot and cafe olay my dry cleaning 

As shopping cart settlers do their gleaning  


Conscience is clear, I gave up a dollar 

To the slumped cardboard sign to ward off a holler 

My wine by the case and veal in white paper 

By most novels a conspicuous caper 


Do you know the tune desolation row 

Here's all my change have it a Gogh 




No comments: