Friday, June 7, 2024

Son of Dean son of Dean son of Freeman

   

He was young by some standards , 

33 and his wife 23, she sedated for birth, his whiskey at home 7 miles away 

But the stonewall tavern and art department office just a mile from hospital 

I don't know what he did how he spent that day prior, how he paced 

Or did sketches or whether he spoke to his sister betty her 3 boys all out of diapers mostly

I'll maybe never know 

I have some few photos of soon after my birth, stories from her perspective 

His take on it who knows 

His father Dean visited our home 

Drove from Austin

I guess by himself 1967 my mom's mom was there too, those photos are among my favorites  

Dorothy and Dean Senior 

Holding baby me, Dean born in 1884

My ancient grandfather from apache land 

My grandma Champlin from Enid 

Niece to Oil but down to earth smarts 

Tiny me 

Burned arm from grabbing mom's coffee 

I sported that scar my right arm past fifth grade until hair came in.  

Good sport

I know dad was proud 

He was always proud of me 

Other than puking in front of Dorothy when I came home drunk 

1984, they made me quit my busboy job 

I worked at IGA grocery bagging food 

I could easily borrow cases of beer 

It wasn't such a radical departure 

from 2 years at the steak house 

Dad was always proud of me best tennis player my age, good grades, girlfriends lots of friends, friendly to his friends. A good reflection on his fathering and genes and name. 

What did he do awaiting my birth 

If he's not busy these days 

I should go ask. 


                      * 

What was Dean Sr. doing Pomona California in 1934 while dad was born 

He was 50 I used to think that was ancient 

For becoming a father I suppose 

Pacing, coming up with a name 

For his son 

He'd been married before but dean was deans last son  

Black coffee he didn't smoke 

Hydrologist knew water 

It breaks then she takes off her apron 

They drive to the hospital 

Take a nap around Time magazine 

More  Life magazine coffee 1934 


                          * 

What was Freeman doing in Kingston New Mexico when he was born 

Hiding under the house 

As Apache raided town 

The first white child born in the mining town 

1882 there was no hospital 

There wasn't much house 

Houses if not that day 

We're burnt in months to come  

Gotta wind grandfather clock

Still miners came, mark twain came, ed doheny was dirt poor there, jesse james

Grandpa Dean was born under siege 

If not the very moment

In his first weeks of birth they did hide 

As the owners came thru said who the hell are you in our woods by our creek on our mountain  

Try a sedative for that 

His infant cries of birth must have echoes for miles welcoming apache that hunted there for centuries, centuries, centuries, and centuries 

It's not silver lining or embellished 

Centuries of primal existence 

No epidural is gonna work 

Pain accompanies life, birth springs and carries pain  and placer gold

                       *

Freeman was born too 1832 

Conesville New York

That guy York wasn't there to help much, across the pond dead 

His daddy's daddy's daddy dad took it from the dutch who took it from mohawk who took it from nature and were birthed by nature  

Past is prologue 

Throw another stump on the fire 

I'm going to check on how the spaceship core is doing  

The fremen gather the water

The oligarchs are raiding the nursery again for eggs, go hide 

It's Time she says 

            It sounds familiar 







No comments: